Created to help Canada’s institutions attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships offers up to 167 scholarships valued at $50,000 per year for three years towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens,
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2016
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Deadline: November 4, 2015