The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health. The Vanier CGS program strongly encourages candidates to pursue their studies beyond the university that granted their previous degree(s).
Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they wish to study and hold the award. Candidates seeking institutional nomination must first receive the endorsement of their proposed graduate unit through a local selection process. Candidates seeking this endorsement must submit a completed Vanier CGS application using the ResearchNet application system. Graduate units will receive access to ResearchNet in order to view the submitted applications from candidates seeking endorsement.
- be pursuing their first doctoral degree (or the PhD portion of a joint program including MD/PhD, JD/PhD) full-time at the nominating university in the academic year immediately following the of release of results in March;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018 (see calculating months of doctoral studies);
- have achieved a first-class average (A-), in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent;
- have not already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD); and
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which has received a Vanier CGS allocation.
Students applying for the 2018-19 Vanier CGS Scholarship must complete their application via ResearchNet
by Tuesday, September 12. In addition, a hard copy of the application and official transcripts (in sealed envelopes), including a current UofT transcript showing Fall 2017 registration must be submitted to:
Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences
Room 620, 155 College Street
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
Deadline: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 5:00 pm
Value/Duration: $50,000 per year for three years
Contacts & Resources:
Questions regarding the Vanier Awards competition can be directed to Vanier at email@example.com, or the Graduate Awards Office at the School of Graduate Studies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 416-946-0808.