If you’re interested in entering the business world, the one-year Business Fundamentals Ontario College Certificate program will help you develop a solid foundation in business knowledge, skills and competences while also identifying which area of business suits your talents and interests for your future career.
Study all aspects of business, develop your skills and explore your options through courses that include accounting, business communications, finance, human resources, introduction to business management, marketing and supply chain management. A comprehensive study of each will help you discover your perfect career fit. This program also provides those already in the workforce with a foundation of business knowledge that can help them expand their career and business opportunities.
You can choose to graduate with your Business Fundamentals certificate after one year and start your career or continue your studies in the Business program of your choice—this program provides pathways to other Durham College business diploma programs.
This program is designed for individuals who want to develop skills and knowledge appropriate for an entry level position in a business setting.
You will study:
- Business communications
- Human resource management
- Introduction to Business Management
- Supply chain management
All courses offered are available in the daytime, but also in the evenings and online through Centre for Professional and Part-Time Learning (additional fees apply).
Students can also earn the following globally recognized certificates by taking Microsoft Office Specialist exams as part of their computer courses:
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Word Associate (COMP1112)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: PowerPoint Associate (COMP1112)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (COMP1214)
- Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Expert (currently offered in the upper year of the Accounting and Supply Chain programs)
Students who successfully pass all three exams can earn an extra certificate that recognizes their accomplishment with the Microsoft Office Specialist: Associate (Office 365 and Office 2019) certificate. DC students are provided access to Microsoft Office 365 through the college’s Microsoft Office account. See more details about this opportunity.
ACCREDITATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
First-year students enrolled in a diploma program or select graduate certificate program through the Faculty of Business will receive a membership to all eight of Durham Region’s Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade for the duration of their studies, plus an additional year following graduation. As one of the only colleges in Ontario with this offering, DC is proud to provide students access to local businesses at a regional level.
The eight Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade include:
- Ajax-Pickering Board of Trade
- Brock Board of Trade
- Clarington Board of Trade
- Greater Oshawa Chamber of Commerce
- Newcastle and District Chamber of Commerce
- Scugog Chamber of Commerce
- Uxbridge Chamber of Commerce
- Whitby Chamber of Commerce
- Opportunities to connect with over 2,500 local businesses and jumpstart your career by networking with potential future employers;
- Access to professional development events across Durham Region to gain unique business insights and learn from industry leaders; and
- Learning opportunities to develop the in-demand skills to launch a successful career.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or Mature Student Status
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 11 mathematics (C, M or U)
WHAT YOU COULD BE:
- Purchasing assistant
- Sales representative
- Bank teller
- Accounting clerk
- Human resources assistant
- Marketing support
- Customer Service representative
WHERE YOU COULD WORK:
- Large and small businesses
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Educational institutions
- Government ministries and agencies
- Health care facilities
- Financial, trust and insurance institutions
- Service industry
Program Transfer, Degree Completion and Additional Credentials
Upon successful completion of this program, you can opt to take one or two additional years in another Business program offered at Durham College in order to obtain a diploma or advanced diploma in Marketing, Accounting, Human Resources Management, Supply Chain Management or Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management. Qualified graduates can then go on to take the Durham College Human Resources Management graduate certificate program, the International Business Management graduate certificate program, the Project Management graduate certificate program, the Supply Chain Management – Global graduate certificate or may be eligible to apply their academic credits toward further study through Durham College’s partnerships with many Canadian and international colleges and universities.