Centennial College’s Architectural Technician program will prepare you for a variety of careers in the building industry. For example, as an employee of an architectural firm, you may assist with preparing design and construction drawings and carry out contract administration tasks during the construction phase. You may also work in drafting, design or sales for a building material manufacturer or supplier.
This diploma program will place a strong emphasis on energy-efficient, sustainable design and construction strategies, and protecting the environment. You’ll learn to use state-of-the-art computer technology as well as prepare designs and construction drawings for residential, industrial, commercial and institutional buildings. Knowledge of building materials, construction methods, structural design, mechanical and electrical services, building codes and zoning by-laws will round out your training.
Companies Offering Jobs
Romanov Romanov Architects Inc., Hunt Design Associates Inc., Lapointe Architects, Cassidy & Company Architectural Technologists
- A project-based curriculum that focuses on a different building type each semester, and a strong foundation in technical skills and knowledge prepare you for the job market.
- A strong emphasis on energy-efficient design and other sustainable design strategies responds to a growing demand in the building industry.
- Program faculty members hold advanced degrees, licenses or credentials in architecture, architectural technology, building science, engineering and green building.
- Many program faculty members are current industry practitioners.
- Prospective students are strongly encouraged to apply for the full three-year Architectural Technology program. However, qualified graduates of this two-year Architectural Technician program may apply to transfer into the third year to complete the Architectural Technology program.
- Architectural CAD Operator
- Architectural draftsperson
- Municipal plans examiner
- Building inspector
- Building materials sales representative
Successful graduates of this Architectural Technician program have the opportunity to apply their learning achieved at Centennial toward further study at the degree level.Listed below are the degrees from partnering institutions that are available for this program.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older)
- Grade 12 English (C or U), or equivalent (minimum grade required), or take the Centennial College English Skills Assessment for Admission
- Grade 11 Mathematics (M or U) or Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U), or equivalent (minimum grade required), or take a Centennial College Engineering Math Skills Assessment for Admission
- English language proficiency