The Owen Grimes Memorial Scholarship recognizes the contribution of our community builders of tomorrow. The growth of Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union exemplifies the achievements of people working together in their own communities. We hope to encourage those qualities of good citizenship and co-operation through this scholarship program. Mr. Owen Grimes served on the Board of Directors of Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union for over 20 years prior to his sudden passing in 2007.
An avid volunteer, he served his community through his work with many charitable organizations including the local food bank. He was a prominent member of the sports community in Grand Falls-Windsor and was instrumental in establishing the minor baseball program. Provincially, he served as a Director on the Newfoundland and Labrador Amateur Baseball Association. He also worked as an off-ice official for minor
hockey at local arenas. Mr. Grimes had only one goal in mind when he was volunteering – the development of the youth who benefited from the sports he supported. This scholarship recognizes individuals who are dedicated to sports and volunteerism in their communities. Awarded annually, this scholarship is valued at $3000.
- Be a member of Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Union or be the child of a member
- Be a graduate from the general or academic program of a Newfoundland and Labrador high school during the spring or fall of the current academic year
- Be nominated by your school principal on behalf of your school
- Provide proof of acceptance to an accredited post-secondary college (minimum 1 year duration)
- Demonstrated sport and athletic involvement, either as a player or in a support role
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Participated in school and/or community activities
- Has an academic average of at least 75%
- Deadline: September 15, 2014
- More information at: https://www.nlcu.com/Scholarships/