The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is offering Doctoral Research Award. Scholarships provide special recognition and support to students who are pursuing a doctoral degree in a health-related field in Canada or abroad.The specific objectives of this funding opportunity are to provide recognition and funding to students early in their academic research career, providing them with an opportunity to gain research experience and to provide a reliable supply of highly skilled and qualified researchers.As the Government of Canada’s health research investment agency, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) supports excellence across all four pillars of health research: biomedical; clinical; health systems services; and population health.Awards are available for pursuing the doctoral programme.Nationality: Canadian citizens are eligible to apply.
- As the Nominated Principal Applicant, the candidate must be a trainee and maintain such status throughout the award duration.(For this funding opportunity, the Nominated Principal Applicant must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position (generally “tenure or tenure-track” refers to an open-ended academic position in which the holder can form a research group, apply for externally funded research as a principal investigator, and also teach0)
- A primary supervisor must be identified on the application. An additional supervisor may be identified.
- The program is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada at the time of application.
- Only students engaged in a full-time doctoral program that has a significant research component are eligible to apply. An eligible program of study must require that 75% of the students’ time be devoted to research training. The research component must be a requirement for completion of the program, such as the completion of a thesis, a major research project, a dissertation, a scholarly publication, a presentation and/or an exhibit that is merit/expert reviewed at the institutional level. Doctoral programs that are based only on course work are not eligible. Joint doctoral programs with a professional degree (e.g. MD/PhD, MBA/PhD, DVM/PhD, etc.) and clinically-oriented doctoral programs (e.g. PhD in Clinical Psychology) are eligible if they have a significant research component as described above.
- The maximum duration of award funding from all federal sources to undertake graduate studies is four years, including at the Master’s level. Individuals who hold or have held a doctoral award from a federal source for a term of three years are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants may submit only one application per year (September 1 to August 31) for funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). However, individuals eligible to apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program or the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program may also submit an application to the CIHR Doctoral Research Award program (this is the only exception where an individual may submit two applications in the same year).
- As of October 1st, 2017, all candidates must have completed a minimum of 12 months of graduate study at the Master’s or doctoral level.
The maximum amount of time candidates can be registered as full-time students in a doctoral program is indicated below and includes all previous studies at the graduate level, regardless of discipline, either course-based or research-based 1 2 3. If a candidate:
- holds a Master’s degree or has completed 12 months or more in a Master’s degree program prior to transferring to or starting a doctoral program, then the maximum amount of time candidate can be registered in a doctoral program is 22 months;
- has completed less than 12 months in a Master’s degree program prior to transferring to or starting a doctoral program, then the maximum amount of time candidate can be registered in a doctoral program is 30 months;
- has transferred directly from a Bachelor’s degree to a doctoral program (with no time in a Master’s program), then the maximum amount of time candidate can be registered in a doctoral program is 34 months.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 3, 2017.
For all inquiries please contact:
CIHR Contact Centre
Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178